Skip to main content

April fools' continues to fool

Wikipedia has developed this nice tradition that on April Fools' Day, content on the Main Page should be TRUE and link to actual encyclopedic articles, instead of being simple jokes. So today's Featured article, is on Wife selling and although the practice might come across as unbelievable, awkward and unrealistic, it is all part of our history. The Topics in the news are all recent news events, though not of the usual importance and the wording is more playful than on other days. Similarly, Did you know contains not a single lie. Lastly the Picture of the day, featuring a picture of a "GET FAT" advertisement campaign as a secret to beauty. Unthinkable perhaps in current times, but very real in 1895.

Just cliches, obfuscation and wordplay are used to trick the reader into making assumptions, that though understandable, are simply incorrect. The page is probably one of the most carefully prepared main pages of the entire year. All selections have to adhere to the same content rules about quality as every other day of the year.

What is most fun is how people react. Some people are truly upset that an encyclopedia would have material like this on its frontpage. Most of those people do not realize that everything on the page is true. Basically the editors are putting the joke on the "quick critics". The people with an opinion about Wikipedia, without truly knowing what and why they are critiquing. The rest of the people are confused and often enticed into reading. If they persevere, they will have a laugh or two and actually learn something. Journalists don't seem to be the best readers btw. Few seem to have actually clicked beyond the front page. 1, 2, 3, 4 Ah well, deadlines I guess. :D

I find it a great tradition and hope that it will be continue for years to come.
P.S. Wikipedia April Fools' main pages from: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 years of Article message boxes

Do you recognize these boxes ? Most likely you do. These are the very recognizable "amboxes", which is a short for " Article message boxes ". They are often visible at the top of articles in English Wikipedia and one of the most recognizable elements of those articles. Today I noticed that these boxes are now just over 5 years (and a month) old. They were first introduced to the general public starting from September 2007 . Their features are in short; a single consistent design, color coded for severity and purpose, dynamic but consistent in width (stackable), IE 5.5 and IE 6.0 compatible and a consistent parameter setup for its content. And that is a big deal, because I still remember what it looked like before when it had none of that. There were dozens of templates with different widths, different colors, different spacing and they all had different parameters. [I've been trying to find an image from back then, but I haven't been able to find one....

Using git svn on El Capitan

I needed to use git svn to do a svn migration, and it was a very painful experience to figure out how to get that working again after I upgraded to El Capitan. It seems that with Apple's system integrity, Apple has broken both ruby and perl setups to some degree, and it's taking a while to catch up with that. Short story: Install homebrew Install ruby from homebrew Install svn using homebrew Install a new version of git using homebrew. Now you still get an error: Can't locate SVN/Core.pm in @INC (you may need to install the SVN::Core module) For this, run the following, to create some symlinks that are required for perl. sudo mkdir /Library/Perl/5.18/auto sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi‌-2level/SVN /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi‌-2level/auto/SVN /Library/Perl/5.18/auto/ Dear Apple... Reme...

A tale of a brand new MacBook Pro Silicon and non-working external screens

So I recently bought a new MacBook Pro 14" 2022 with MacOS Ventura. Moved everything over got to work! Or so I thought. After a couple days I noticed how every time, my external LG displays refused to connect with the Mac. Initially thinking it was a fluke, I messed with some wires and eventually rebooted the MacBook and everything was fine. But the issue returned and it seemed that each time after waking up the Mac, the screens would not come back. So last Sunday, I got so annoyed I was determined to figure out what was going on. And this turned into a deep investigation with verifying the functionality of each and every part in the system and lots of Googling. Before each theory and test, I'd reboot to bring both monitors back to life, sleep the system, wait a few minutes and then try to wake up the monitors.  I started by just plugging and unplugging, as well as restarting hardware. The screens are LG screens which are known to sometimes have time synchronization problems w...